Sunday, July 3, 2011


The previous seventeen posts are from a high school humanities project I turned in forty years ago at Academy of the Sacred Heart in Grand Coteau, Louisiana. The second half of the project can be found at Humanities Project 1971

The original materials have suffered from heat and my careless handling over the years, but are largely intact and authentic. I found some evidence of possible tampering. At least one page was missing, and a few of the photos seem to have been manipulated. However, I think the project has retained its overall impact.

As I retyped each of the poems over the last two months, I was moved to briefly be in the poet's seat, to experience the unique expression of being, the eruption of art, of understanding, from each writer. In taking photos of the images, originally from National Geographics and Smithsonians dated before June of 1971, I came to appreciate each artist and photographer. They offer a diversity of perspective from around the world in such a beautiful and gripping way. I'm also grateful to Mother Carmen Smith who assigned this project to us, and to Ms. Juanita Durio who brilliantly taught the visual arts segment of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment