Sunday, December 11, 2011


The picture below of the yoyo and little wooden cat was from the 1977 drawing class too. The teacher took us all outside. I remember setting the objects on a curb, and focusing on the different textures of the background.

On other days, we did sketches of classmates. We did self-portraits for homework. The picture above is a self-portrait. Except for the hair, it looks almost nothing like me, even me in 1977. I carefully reproduced every segment of what I saw in the mirror, and came up with a stranger.

I've been thinking about mirrors. Our faces, our bodies, the scenery are reversed. Things that are touching ourselves in the reflected world may be nowhere near us.

When we look at rearview mirrors, our eyes focus for distance though our fingers can touch the distant road in the glass, six inches from our faces.

I had a cat who when I spoke to him, would gaze up at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, even though my voice was coming from behind him. He would talk to the stranger in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment