Friday, October 29, 2010





It was the year 3023. Fasil was eighteen years old, and this was her first time to vote. The poll worker, an elderly woman in a nuevofiber smock, placed a blindfold, snug eyeless goggles, over Fasil’s head and walked her to the voting room. She was told that on each wall was the projected image of a candidate running for office. She would have up to a minute to touch the walls. The first wall she touched with any part of her body for longer than five seconds would be recorded as her vote.

‘There are no obstacles in the room, and your vote will be timed automatically by the pressure-sensitive devices in the walls. Are you ready, dear?’

Fasil asked, ‘Who are the candidates?’

‘Sorry, Fasil. I do not know their names, and if I did, I wouldn’t be allowed to share them. Privacy rights, you know.’

‘Well,’ Fasil asked, ‘What office are these first candidates running for?’

‘That information is also confidential. All votes are based on the voter’s body intelligence. We do our best to make certain bad press, prejudices, rational thinking, and over-thinking don’t get in the way of electing the best person for the job.’

Fasil heard a clicking sound as the worker prepared the recording device. ‘Will you tell me who I voted for?’

‘’Fraid not. Look. I’m sure you’ve learned this in school. Blind Voting has worked much better than the old-fashioned process, and, because there are no campaign costs, there's far less expense to the candidates and the taxpayers. Much less animosity between neighbors, too. Now, are you ready?’

Fasil nodded.

‘I will count to three, and when I say, “vote” you may begin. One, two, three…vote!’

3 comments:

  1. The good things about this future would be:

    1) I wouldn't have to listen to all the horrible, negative, ad campaigns. Even my 12-year old has realized they don't say anything about the candidate is going to do!

    2) I wouldn't have to watch all the signs pop up like dandelion weeds all over the place (and some of those are negative too!)

    Can't wait for Election Day to come and go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a TV, I guess I'm a bit out of the loop. Sounds like that's not a bad thing!

    Thanks for checking in -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Print media is much easier to skim. Print media is much less likely to raise my stress by flashing light, ominous sounds, etc.

    ReplyDelete