Monday, October 25, 2010





A slender ribbon of cool air awakened me this morning, as though someone had opened a window, or as though the room were only a dream, and I were asleep on the leaf-carpet of a forest. Late in the day, I did come upon the poignant fragrance of a pair of redwoods. A flock of red-winged blackbirds perched like beads on a wire, chattered without pause. Two red-shafted northern flickers measured my pulse. A small flock of pigeons floated within the blue sky as though breathing in synchrony.

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned fragrance.

    On my recumbent commute this morning I passed a hedge that extends to the curb edge bringing me very close. I marveled at the lingering scent for a block or so past its furtherest extent.

    Now THAT I would have missed entirely had I chosen to take the car to save 45 minutes out of my out of my round trip. You know it would not have been replaced by ..anything..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a similar experience! It's hard to compare it to anything, but yes, it's something you wouldn't want to have missed. And I didn't begin to elaborate on how that fragrance recurred throughout the day, so thinly, cleanly piercing -

    ReplyDelete