Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Austin, Texas, September, 2011







It's easy for me to stay holed up in my living room, visiting Youtube links to Louis Armstrong singing What a Wonderful World, or tapping out Facebook congrats to distant friends on their birthdays, or digging in Wiki to learn what a Ruben's Tube is. I can hunt for weather data and news articles if I like. But sometimes I feel I learn more about the world when I venture out my door. I brave the neighborhood streets, the noise, the construction in progress and look for Venus in the night sky, smell for rain and how heavy is the car exhaust tonight? In the morning, I might walk for coffee and look at the people I pass. Are they worried? cheerful? Are there kids outside? Are they having fun? Are there monarch butterflies migrating overhead? Sometimes the cleanest data on the state of the universe is right outside the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment